11 August, 2006

Alexander Smit Dispatches - One-hit wonder

Terrific news for Donutball fans from the Midwest League. Beloit's Alexander Smit had his best performance of the season last night in front of 3,467 at Fort Wayne's Memorial Stadium.

Smit allowed a hit in seven innings of work, a one out infield single in the sixth. He struck out 11 Wizards and walked none, picking up his 6th win of the season. Another batter reached on catcher interference. Otherwise, Smit competely dominated the game.

"I was just trying to get ahead of (the hitters)," Smit explained. "That was the only thing I was trying to do, stay ahead in the count and use my fastball. My curveball and slider were working well. I mixed those up a little bit. But everything was going the way I wanted to tonight."

Actually, things have been going Smit's way since he became a regular member of the Snappers' rotation at the end of June. He's 4-0 with a 2.52 ERA as a starter

"I've been working with my arm slot and finding the strike zone," he said. "I worked with my pitching coach, Steve Mintz, and it's helped me out a lot. I've been trying to get my arm mechanics back like I did last year."

With opponents hitting just .160 against him in his last eight outings, has Smit thought about climbing the ladder in the Twins' system?

"I only worry about what I can control," he said. "I just worry about pitching well. I don't worry about all that other stuff. I just want my team to win."

Beloit won the game 6-3. Game Log Box

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home