15 August, 2005

Nats - Can you say "Yard!"?

Time difference. Bad: it means I miss most MLB games. Good: it means my morning posts beat Stateside bloggers. Hah!

So, here goes nothing...


Coors Field is one of my favourite Major League ballparks. This despite my visit back in 1995 coinciding with a cold snap (I think it snowed) and an argument with my ex which simmered for another two weeks. I love the view, love the microbrew and love the open concourse at field level, which means you can walk around the park and still catch the game.

On the other hand, there are few pitchers around the league who like Coors. The mile high atmosphere and vast spaces in left and right centrefield make this a hitters dream - doubles, triples and homer galore.



Exhibit A: the anaemic Nats offense pounded out 10 hits yesterday, including two home runs, to down the Rocks 9-2. Nine runs. That makes an average of 6 runs per game for the current road trip; for a team that averages 3.94 runs per game. Yesterday was the crooked-ist number the Nats have tagged on the board since June 10.

Has the mile high air and Houston's choo-choo park helped Washington regain their stroke?

One game out in the wild card race with another bandbox on tap. A little Phillie crushing is called for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home