22 October, 2005

Soccer - Hamlet bashed

Ryman League First Division: Dulwich Hamlet 0, Bashley 1

It's going to be a long winter at Champion Hill, home of Dulwich Hamlet.

Hamlet are now out of the two major national knock-out competitions - the FA Cup and the Trophy. Progress, of sorts, continues in the London Senior Cup and the League Cup. But, in the bread and butter of the League, the South London outfit look likely to struggle.

Evidence today confirm that feeling. Dulwich struggled for the second week in a row against inferior opposition. The home side are solid at the back, but lack imagination in midfield (when the bother to play on the ground) and are short of inspiration, touch and firepower up front.

Visitors Bashley, from the New Forest, coped easily with the strikeforce of Charley Side and Paul Scott.

For their part, the Hampshire side created only a couple of openings on the counter attack. Smelling of offside, one of those came off in the 36th minute when Ashley Wilson found Richard Gillespie with a through ball. Gillespie was clear of the defence, rounded the 'keeper and slotted the easiest of chances.

Side managed to wriggle free twice in the first half but could not put a shot on target. His clever lob scraped the bar, but otherwise his shooting let him down.

It was little better in the second half though as time ran down Scott moved to the left wing where he got the better of the defence only for his delivery into the box failing to find a friendly shirt.

Dulwich were denied a clear cut opportunity with seconds ticking away when referee Johnson ignored an advantage and blew for a free-kick outside the box. Mark Simmons, Dulwich's brightest player on the afternoon, headed over from the free-kick.

Within a minute the victim, substitute Richard Brady, scuffed a shot wide after Scott finally got in a good cross. That summed up Hamlet's day.

Bashley held on for a deserved 1-0 victory. Dulwich need to re-group. Goals are going to be as scarce on this performance.


Post a Comment

<< Home